Driving under the influence (DUI) is an offense of operating a vehicle while intoxicated. Penalties for drinking and driving in Connecticut are severe, and do not constitute a minor traffic violation. Connecticut’s DUI law consists primarily of two statutes, CGS §§14-227a and -227b. The first prohibits a person from driving (1) while “under the influence”of alcohol or drugs and the send prohibits anyone from driving (2) with an “elevated” blood alcohol content (BAC). A person is under the influence if their ability to drive is noticeably affected. The maximum allowable BAC depends on the driver’s age, and the type of vehicle.
DUI Lawyers can Help
When you are arrested in Connecticut for a DUI, contact a DUI lawyer to protect your driving privileges. Failure to do so may create problems for you, including license suspension, hefty fines, and incarceration.
DUI Statistics in Connecticut (2006-2008)
- In the year 2006, 5,105 people were arrested in Connecticut for drunk driving / DUI. In 2007 the number increased to 8,571.
- In 2006, there were 108 fatal accidents in Connecticut where at least one driver had a BAC of 0.08% or above. In 2007, the number decreased to 99 and in 2008, the number further decreased to 79 fatal accidents.
- In 2006, 113 people were killed due to accidents where at least one driver had a BAC of 0.08% or above. In the year 2007, 111 people were killed and in the year 2008, the number decreased drastically to 86.
- In 2006, 16 people were killed in accidents where at least one driver had a BAC between 0.01% and 0.07%. In the year 2007, the number of people who got killed increased to 18 and in the year 2008, the number further increased to 19.
- In 2006, 129 total deaths occurred where at least one driver had a BAC of 0.01% or above. The year 2007 also recorded 129 deaths where at least one driver had a BAC of 0.01% or above. In 2008, there were 105 total deaths caused in Connecticut where at least one driver had a BAC of 0.01% or above.
Contact DUI Lawyer – Attorney George W. Ganim, Jr.
Driving under the influence is a criminal offense in Connecticut. Attorney George W. Ganim, Jr. has successfully represented individuals with alcohol related driving offenses for over 28 years.
Call Attorney George W. Ganim, Jr. at (203)713-8383 or 877-828-4279 for a free consultation. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact online.
We serve clients in Bridgeport, Stamford and New Haven.